butter AND buttermilk AND mascarpone cheese.
Add a pinch of nutmeg and you will have the best mashers ever.
Combining a mix of starchy and waxy potatoes gives the BEST consistency,
- Peel the potatoes. Cut the in half.
- Using larger pieces keeps them from getting too soggy when cooking.
- Put the potatoes in a pot and cover by at least two inches with COLD water.
- Add the tablespoon of salt and bay leaves.
- Cover and bring to a rolling bowl.
- Boil for 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a skewer.
- Drain the cooked potatoes VERY Well. Remove the bay leaves.
- Transfer to a bowl of an electric mixer.
- Start on low speed while adding the butter until it is incorporated.
- Now add the mascarpone and turn the machine to medium high.
- Allow to whip for 2 minutes. Turn the mixer back to low.
- Add the buttermilk a little at a time until the potatoes reach your desired consistency.
- Season with salt and white pepper to taste. Finish with a scant grating of fresh nutmeg.