Menu Tweaks in Saugerties



(Small Bites: Korean Pork Belly, Potato Samosa, Mahi Ceviche and Jerk Beef and Pineapple)

WINTER 2010
Yes, It is winter in he Hudson Valley and that means slow cooking, braises and hearty stews, right?
Yes, Maybe and maybe not.
In the last two months, according to the "Product Mix" on our Point of Sale System, New World Home Cooking sold over three small plates-appetizers-sandwiches- to every one Big Main plates.
Appetizers like Mushroom-Huitlacoche Tamales, Half sized Thai Italian Bolognese Pasta, Tuna Burger Sliders, Korean Pork Belly Bites, Puerto Rican Style Seitan "Wings" and Sicilian Pumpkin Fritters are leading the way in sales. We are eating smaller bites and bigger tastes, for sure. The sales are telling the truth,
So, I have done some menu tweaking based upon your eating habits and the results are more small plates and appetizers actually!
Now I know the math is somewhat skewed because people often order numerous small plates "for the table" but it is still an intriguing window into our eating habits.

The question I ponder is "Are we eating more small plates because of the economy?"
The answer is a resounding NO.
Our per person check average is actually up over the last two months. Note that November the first three weeks of December (allowing for Thanksgiving weekend) is one of our slowest stretches of the year. Our guests are spending a consistent amount, even though the sale of Po'Boys, appetizers, Tapas plates and half pastas and risottos are at and all time high.
It is obvious from the feedback that we receive via comment cards and email, that most of my customers are eating for flavor and excitement!
This is fun for me.
It is clear that New World's base is split with about 25% vegan/vegetarians and about 25% Snout to Tail eat it all with lust folks, with the rest just being good ol' normal steak/burger or chicken/fish diners like the rest of the world.
Our updated menu mix reflects that--with a Vegan tapas platter, a locally made Charcuterie platter and a Artisan Cheese Plate side by side on the menu, equally selling.
The best sellers last week were Tandoori Salmon, Big Brined Pork Chop and Blue Corn Seitan Medallions.
So you will see the menu offer more tastes, half orders and small plates, You will see more fun sandwiches, "tacos" for lack of a better work for food wrapped in different medium.
It all will have my flavor profile stamp.

We now have VEGAN and GLUTEN FREE menus printed, so if this is you, just ask of one or get it on line and the bottom of the page.
We still cook clean, make buying decisions based upon integrity of product and I still develop recipes that are have their own personality In a era of cookie cutter menus, either one way or another, New World will still stand out. That is who I am.
In 1986, my band skin in Boston released a single and video called Stand Up.
The first line of the song is " I want you to know my name, so stand out in the street"
That was 25 years ago. I haven't changed!

So what is my job?
My primary job is two fold--
One, to make enough business to remain open, as every winter season is a threat to all businesses in this area.
Two, to enjoy my work and my customers, and not just meet their needs by EXCITE them.
This is not a molecular gastromony market--this is The Hudson Valley, land of the BAND and DYLAN, of the HUDSON RIVER SCHOOL and of course NATURE. It is all around us.
It is why we all love it here. It is why I keep cooking the way it do.
My job is to bring all of that and more to the plate to keep you all coming back.
I hope you do because like it here.

http://ricorlando.com/nwMenu.htm

See an OLD "Skin" interview with edits from the Satnd Up Video at the end. I was 25. Don't laugh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZl3CmVv3TA

No comments: