Hi gang--
Here it is--finally...
the Ric the Chef Blog!
Since I am working on a new book, I figure I may as well get my ass in gear and get writing daily. Writing is a lot like exercise---when you finally get over the hump, you are then over the hump and the rest is routine. And though I hope to never be truly over the hump, I will keep barking to amuse myself, and you, I hope...

You'll find me ranting as usual---
I'll rant about food---
about the politics of food, the medical smokecreen, the FDA ( make your own anagram)
about dinners I've had elswhere,
about the quality of the so called food we are offered daily,
about the lies we are fed about food ( remember--all spinach is BAD, BAD, BAD!)
Do you remember the reoccuring punchline of Boston's comic loud mouth Kevin Meany--
What are you reTAHdit???

Oh yeah---since I am a chef you'll also encouter new recipes, food ideas and concepts as well.

and..
ever want to hear a chef's perspective on war, sports, media and whatever else needs seasoning?

Well gang, here it is. The only way to shut me up is to feed me something too tough to swallow---
Even GWB hasn't been able to accomplish that ---so rest assured, I keep keepin' on!

Anyway...
You can find me Sunday at the NY Garlic Festival in Saugerties, NY (http://www.hvgf.org/)
New World Home Cooking has a vending booth and we pump out our Blackened Stringbeans and Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes like nobody's bizniss!

I'll be performing a cooking demonstration on Sunday at NOON sharp on Sunday.
Here is what I am making...

Roasted Garlic Bread Pudding
Created by Ric Orlando, New World Home Cooking
Published in:
"Recipes from America's Small Farms"
by
Joanne Lamb Hayes and Lori Stein
Copyright 2003 Used by permission from Villard Books

24 garlic cloves, unpeeled
Olive oil
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
8 cups 1-inch cubes fresh Italian or French bread
5 large eggs
2 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
2 tablespoons bourbon or brandy (optional)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or a slightly rounded 1/4 teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, or a slightly rounded 1/4 teaspoon dried
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Snip off and discard the tip from each garlic clove; toss the cloves with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until softened. Let cool to the touch and gently peel.

Meanwhile, generously grease a 13- by 9-inch baking pan or dish with olive oil. Arrange the bread evenly in the pan.

Mash the garlic cloves with a fork in a large bowl. Add the eggs and beat until slightly fluffy. Beat in the milk, cream, cheese, bourbon, if using, thyme, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread.

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown, and serve hot.

The authors suggest this dish be served as a side dish as an alternative to potatoes, rice or pasta.
Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a huge fan of garlic. This may be the most wonderful garlic dish I've ever had.

Don't let the amount of garlic scare you away. It's really quite mild. While the authors describe one method of roasting garlic, you may use any method that suits you. The internet is full of techniques for roasting garlic.


Who's burning the cream?
Ric the Chef 9/2006

1 comment:

sharon ligorner said...

hi ric,

My friend loved your restaurant so much she ate there for dinner with her family and then went back for lunch the next day. She knows I want to move to the woodstock saugerties area and eat organic food so she emailed me the NWcafe news. I saw your picture there and you look just like Ric Rondeau formerly lead singer for the band Skin. Except your name is Ric Orlando. I used to know you and Jay in Boston. My name is Sharon. I was best friends with Gretchen and I worked at the rat in 84. We were groupies. We lived in Kenmore Square. In 85 we lived with Paula Boswell on South St. in Brighton. I knew Ivan W.H. and was friends with Sterling. Ring a bell?

If you are who I think you are I would love to talk to you about where you live, what you think of the schools in the area...I live in Montclair, NJ and my husband (who toured with Christmas) and I want to get some land and build a house. We have 2 kids, 7 and 10.

Peace,

Sharon